Well, guess what - you're about to get another one. Deal with it.
Let's start at the beginning:
- I bought a car. Cash. 1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited. Right price, right miles. Mechanic checked. Loved it. Bought it on 7/14/10.
- Plan to drive 4Runner to Florida for family vacation. Took to mechanic for a trip check and oil change. Let's be doubly sure that the car will make it there and back without a problem. All checked out beautifully. Just needed a new air filter. 8/26/10.
- Drive 4Runner to Florida on 8/27/10. Drive 4Runner the entire week in Florida, to and from, short trips, trips as long as 30 minutes - normal daily driving.
- Pack it up and get ready to drive back home to TN. 9/4/10
- 7 miles from the house. Count them. 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. SEVEN MILES into the trip home an invisible robot jumps out in front of us...at least that's what it sounded like we had run over when we threw a rod through the left side of the engine block.
- Promptly pull over, call Triple A and wait for an hour and a half for a tow truck. Tow the now obsolete 4 Runner back to the beach house.
- Go to UHaul and rent a car hauler.
- Promise Mike our first born son so that he will tow us back to Nashville.
- Drink ourselves into oblivion.
- Ride 5 deep (+ dog) in Mike's extended cab truck for 10 hours to drop 4 Runner off at mechanic. 9/5/10